History of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church – Kensal

1905 – St. Paul’s Lutheran Church in Kensal was formed.  The first officers were: Chairman Fritz Foerster; Treasurer Ernest Frenzel; Secretary Gustav Gunther

1906 – Adolph Semke offered land on which to build a country church.  A building 24 × 40 feet was built by LaQua at a cost of $1260

1907 – The first confirmation class was confirmed

1914 – Kensal and Bordulac formed a parish.  The first parsonage was a house now occupied by Todd Kollman

1922 – The services were discontinued in the country church and the Congregational Church in Kensal was rented until 1926

1926 – The original church was moved into Kensal and rededicated

1928 – Because it was difficult to support a pastor, Kensal, Bordulac, Wimbledon and Courtenay combined and were served by Pastor Gerdes

1933 – Reverend A.T. Kellerman installed at Kensal and Bordulac.  They felt that they were now able to support a pastor

1942 – Reverend Schubarth was granted a leave of absence to serve as a chaplain for the armed forces

1949 – The church was remodeled and rededicated

1955 – The 50th anniversary was celebrated

1956 – The men of the congregation designed and built special tables and benches for the Sunday School rooms.  A new organ was purchased and dedicated to James Johnson

1958 – Kensal bought Bordulac’s share of the parsonage.  The parsonage was, then, sold for $5,000, which was used as the beginning of the building fund

1962 – The lots across the street were given to the church by Doctor and Mrs. Martin

1966 – The ground was broken for a new church

1967 – The new church was dedicated.  With help from a foreman and bricklayer, the church was built with local labor, members of the church, at a cost of $66,802.47.  Guest speakers at the dedication were Reverend Kellerman, Reverend Rutter and Reverend Bollman.  The old building was given to Carl Carlson for removing it from the church property

1968 – Celebrated first anniversary in the new building

1969 – Toast Masters Club organized

1970 – A Piano was purchased.  Loud speakers were installed.  The lots west of the church were sold for $500

1975 – The mortgage was burned, constitution revised and accepted.  The ladies were given voting privileges and the voting age was lowered

1976 – The new organ was purchased

1980 – Members, adults and children, participated in The Lutheran Hour Rally at Jamestown

2005 – The 100th anniversary was celebrated

Past Ministers at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church – Kensal

Charles Lueker – 1905-1914

William Kupsky – 1914-1921

Reverend Mix – 1922-1928

Pastor Gerdes – 1928

Pastor Lange – 1928

Student Mundinger – 1930

Reinhold Arndt – 1931

A.T. Kellerman – 1932-1940

George Schubarth – 1940-1942

Reverend Winkler – 1943

Walter Leininger – 1944-1951

Carl Fischer – 1951

John F. Bollman – 1952-1957

Reverend Klinkenbury – 1957-1961

Edward Rutter – 1961-1964

Reverend Soper – 1964

Fred A. Muenchow – 1965-1968

Norman Porath – 1968-1973

Reverend Jurkovic – 1973

Richard Ames – 1974

Arthur Patscheck – 1974-1980

Carlyle Roth – 1980

Dennis Huntington – 1981-1982

Henry Friedrich – 1983

Jeffrey Harter – 1983-1989

Harry Dramstad – 1990

Donald Hunter – 1990-1993

Rex Longshore – 1994

Steven Haag – 1994-1999

Robert Leiste – 1999-2001, 2002-2004

Jim Meyer – 2001-2002

Anthony Ahrendt – 2004-2005